Our Echo
Title, story type, location, year, person or writer

Add a Post
View Posts
Popular Posts
Hall of Fame
Projects
Visitors
Contests
Search

THE CAT LADY OF ALLENTOWN

Story ID:3643
Written by:Veronica Breen Hogle (bio, contact, other stories)
Organization:Irish Cultural Events
Story type:OurEcho Community
Location:Buffalo New York USA
Year:2008
Person:Elizabeth Squire Deichman
Back to Story   |   Add a Comment   |   Visitors

Comments

Posted 03/21/2008 00:15 by Frederick William Wickert | Reply
I enjoyed the story. I know well the joys of watching and taking care of feral and homeless cats. We have over 50 of them and a close friend has more than 60, counting some new kittens. It is hard to refuse them when they need a home. They are fun to watch and many become tame and loveable. I sincerely hope the cats she had found a good home after her passing.
Fred
Posted 03/21/2008 10:06 by Nancy J. Kopp | Reply
As I read this story, I wondered if this was the woman who had died while you were in Ireland recently. You created a lovely tribute to her. Somehow it often eases our own soul to write about someone who has passed on, and I hope this is the case for you. Losing a good friend, someone you admire, is as difficult as losing a family member.
Nancy
Posted 03/21/2008 11:38 by Betty (BJ) Roan | Reply
In my opinion, OurEcho is most certainly the appropriate venue to share this touching story. I also know a couple of cat lovers who would love to read Ms. Deichman's book. I'll send them the link. BJ
Posted 03/21/2008 12:24 | Reply
Nana,
You described her very well. I'm glad I got to meet her before she passed. She was a wonderful lady.
Love,
April
Posted 03/22/2008 11:04 by Kathe M. Campbell | Reply
What a nice tribute to a lady you admired and probably knew better than most. Being mom to three very different felines myself, I can well imagine her great love and joy over various antics. Will be watching for the book this spring.........Kathe
Posted 07/31/2008 08:08 by Richard L. Provencher | Reply
Veronica, your friend is smiling up in Heaven watching the grins and tears as we read your wonderful story. God bless, Richard LP
Posted 11/22/2008 08:30 by Suzana Margaret Megles | Reply
Thank you Veronica for the story and for being a wonderful friend to a very kind and loving woman who had room and place in her heart for cats. If only more would see them as she did. Hopeully much success to your collaborted book.
Posted 12/26/2009 23:20 by Veronica Breen Hogle | Reply
Thank you all for your interest and suppport. Elizabeth Squire Deichman's book is now in bookstores in Buffalo, New York, and online. Four articles about her and her book have appeared in magazines and newspapers. Sales are quite good, especially at online bookstores. Beth's little book is her ongoing gift to animal shelters to help them find good homes for cold and hungry stray cats and their kittens. Again, thanks for helping out. Veronica