Our Echo
Title, story type, location, year, person or writer
Add a Post
View Posts
Popular Posts
Hall of Fame

Fine Lady, and the old water well

Story ID:5879
Written by:Monte Leon Manka (bio, contact, other stories)
Story type:Story
Location:Hemet CA USA
Person:1st. grade Chelsea Kansas Kid
View Comments (1)   |   Add a Comment Add a Comment   |   Print Print   |     |   Visitors
Fine Lady, and the old water well

Yesterday I met a fine Lady ---- Chad

Yesterday--- When I was in the Ist. grade --- Chad

We had a neighbor to the south west of our farmhouse by the name of P.I.Buchanan and his wife and daughters who were much older than me, and they left home when I was very young.

Mrs. Buchanan was bed fast when I knew her, and when I walked by she would call me in to her bedroom on the cold, snowy days and have the girls give me a cup of hot cocoa.

The way she would get my attention was to rap on the window by her bed as I walked by and beckon to me and I would go in to her room. She had a string attached to the doorknob and when she would pull the string the door would open or shut. I was in awe trying to figure how this worked, as I drank my warm drink.

Needless to say, all good things come to an end and when Mrs. Buchanan died I truly missed her company and the warm room and the cocoa which made my day.

Now P.I. was a religious man and he attended the church at Chelsea every time there was a Church service. some times we had no preacher but someone would lead the service, Sam Putnam, Mr. Ray, Mrs. Holderman and some others that I can't remember.

Mr. P.I. told my dad that he was afraid that he would die and no one would find him for a long time.

My Dad Wayne Manka, told Irvy (nickname) If he would turn his yard light on in the evening and if it stayed on Dad would know that he would be in trouble. If the yard light didn't go on Dad would go down to see what the problem was.

One night Dad saw that the yard light wasn't on so he went down and this is what he found.

Irvy was stuck in the hand-dug water well and couldn't get out. This well had a small shed over it with a pulley so that you could lower the bucket and get water for the house. The well had a four foot wall around it to keep the animals out of it, and on the inside of the wall was a shelf that he put his butter and milk to keep cool so as not to spoil.

Irvy stepped over the wall to pick up a milk bottle that had fallen over but he couldn't get out because the shelf was another 2 foot below ground level.

The wall was to high and Irvy was about 75 years old. He had been on the inside of the wall since early morning Dad saved him.

One morning when it was 20 below zero Irvy called dad about 2 a.m. and wanted him to take him to the hospital. Dad got up and when he got there Irvy had burned himself bad.

During the night Irvy had gotten up to stoke the old wood stove and get warm. The stove got hot and Irvy had on two long cotton nightshirts and when he backed up to the stove the night shirts caught on fire.

With the nightshirts burning up his back he went into the kitchen, broke the ice on the water bucket, and poured Ice water down his back with the dipper to put the fire out.

Dad said that Irvy sat on the seat of the car on his knees facing the rear of the car.

He endured the pain for another thirty minutes until Dad got him to Allen Memorial Hospital.
Dad saved him again.

One time while Irvy was cultivating his corn me and my little brother Leslie, went down to Irvy's and I shot out the windows of Irvy's barn.

He talked to my Dad and I had to milk his three cows for two weeks as punishment. Now that was after I had done the chores at home and still walk about a mile and a half from to Dist No. 10 at Chelsea, Kansas.

(by the way, Irvy didn't die at home, as he feared he was in the hospital when he passed away.)

The highway, Number 13, was on the east and the county road ran on the south of his two-story farmhouse.

Irvy decided he would paint his house, he painted the south and east side of the house because these could be seen from the roads and left the north and west sides bare.

My first four-wheeled conveyance was purchased by my Dad at the auction that Irvy had. The horse drawn buggy was a good way for Leslie and I to look over the country, without walking.