Our Echo
Title, story type, location, year, person or writer
Add a Post
View Posts
Popular Posts
Hall of Fame

Mom and the Big Poop...

Story ID:7606
Written by:Charles Dishno (bio, contact, other stories)
Story type:Musings, Essays and Such
Location:Dillon Montana USA
View Comments (5)   |   Add a Comment Add a Comment   |   Print Print   |     |   Visitors
Mom and the “Big Poop”
Chuck Dishno

In the fall of 1990, Roz and I decided to take a 3-month trip to see the fall colors of New England. We had a fifth-wheel trailer and had traveled all over the U.S. in past years but had never been to the New England states in the fall..

We had moved from Fresno, California to Dillon, Montana in May 1989 and brought Mom with us. Mom loved it here and was glad to be back in Montana where she was born in 1897.

The problem we faced was what to do with Mom while we were on our trip. With her approval, we decided to take her to stay with my brother, Bud, in Kingman, Arizona. Bud wasn’t too happy with our decision as he hadn’t been around his Mom for any length of time for years but he relented when we told him we would pay him $150 a month while she was there. I’m not saying that Bud was that bad but he was used to living with just he and his wife and being able to go whenever he felt like it. Mom wasn’t all that happy about being away from us and Dillon for that long either but wanted us to have a nice vacation. Besides Bud had a dog and of course Mom had her cat, Kallie.

About the 15th of September, we hooked up the trailer with Kallie and our cat, Sam, locked inside along with all of Mom’s stuff including her TV, clothing, cat box and a potty chair for her. Mom rode in the front seat of my Ford Club Cab pickup and Roz rode in the small cab behind the seats. It was about 700 miles to Kingman but we made in two overnight stops. In retrospect, all went pretty well. I felt sorry for Roz though as she was really cramped in that small space. At each stop, I would have to get out, lift Mom out then tip the seat forward to let Roz out. We usually stopped at rest stops or restaurants so Roz would have to take Mom into the restrooms. At night, we would all stay in the trailer. The two cats, who normally were bitter enemies, seemed to get along just fine.

When we got to Kingman we unloaded all of Mom’s stuff into Bud’s house, made sure Mom was settled and then headed east, at last. I promised Mom that I would call her every two days to see how she was doing and to give her a progress report on our trip.

At last, Roz, Sam and I were on the road for what turned out to be a great trip. We hit Up-State New York just at the peak time and the fall colors were beautiful. The colors were even better than in Vermont. The locals call us fall visitors, “Leaf Peepers” but were very nice. We stayed in the area until the campgrounds began to close then headed down the coast eventually ending up in Florida. We usually parked for about 10 days at a time and would explore all the sights.

After 10 or more days in Orlando we couldn’t take the humidity any longer and started migrating north to Mississippi and then west. We had been on the roae for about 2 ½ months and my daily calls to Mom told me that she was ready to get back to her Montana, as were we.

All went well on our return to Kingman and after loading up Mom, Kallie and her stuff, we started toward home, just the reverse of the trip down except the temperature was getting into the low teens and we decided to make it with just one overnight stop at a motel.

We were coming up Interstate 15 and when we got to Cedar City, I asked Mom if she needed to make a potty stop as the rest stops were few and far between for the next 60 miles or so. Mom assured me that she didn’t have to go and would be all right. Wrong! After about 20 miles, Mom began to squirm in her seat and said she was sorry but she really had to go and didn’t think she could hold it. She said it was a “big potty” and was worried that she would mess up the car seat.

I knew she couldn’t hold it so I pulled over as far as I could on the rumble strip, got out, went back to the trailer and got her potty chair. I set it up next to the passenger door then opened the door and scooped Mom out into the 10 above temperature. I then pulled down her drawers and set her on the cold seat. Roz was laughing all the time and handed me Mom’s big heavy coat and a red stocking cap. I put the cap on her head and the coat over her shoulders and waited for her to do her duty, which she did like a trouper. When she was thru she cleaned herself up and I pulled up her drawers then plopped her back into the nice warm cab. I then dumped her “deposit” on the side of the road, folded up the potty chair then put it back into the trailer. The entire episode lasted only about 15 minutes. The longest 15 minutes of my life. I think Mom and Roz were enjoying every minute of it and were amazed at my resourcefulness to handle a crisis.

When I got back into the drivers seat and was heading up the road again, I asked Mom if she was OK. She said everything was just fine but she wished I had taken a picture of her sitting on that potty-chair with her big coat wrapped around her and a red stocking cap pulled down over her ears. I wasn’t about to repeat the performance again though. I don’t know what I would have done if a Utah Highway Patrol had stopped to see what we were doing. I think I might have said that Mom was a Mormon, instead of the good old Lutheran that she was.

We made it back to Dillon on the 15th of December with many memories of our trip and Mom’s “Big Poop” in Mormon country.

Mom lived another two years before passing away at 95. I know she is in Heaven now as is my brother Bud. I hope she gets to look at God’s Heavenly Picture Album. She just may see snapshot of her beside my truck on I-15. That would make her happy.

Roz and I love you Mom, and thank you for all the good memories that your gave us.