Our Echo
Title, story type, location, year, person or writer
Add a Post
View Posts
Popular Posts
Hall of Fame

To See or Not to See…That is the Question

Story ID:7776
Written by:Charles Dishno (bio, contact, other stories)
Story type:Musings, Essays and Such
Location:Dillon Montana USA
View Comments (4)   |   Add a Comment Add a Comment   |   Print Print   |     |   Visitors

Most of you who know me, know that I have been blind in my right eye for almost 64 years. This never bothered me as I have learned to cope with one eye over the years, even dealing with depth perception quite well.

This all changed on Sunday, January 15th. Roz and I had watched the Green Bay Packers lose on TV when I noticed a small squirt of blood in the left To See or Not to See…That s the Question corner of my good eye. Within a few minutes my vision turned foggy and I couldn’t see anything. I wasn’t too concerned about it and thought it would clear up overnight. Wrong! The next day, Monday, it hadn’t improved, in fact it was getting worse. I called my optometrist and he had Roz drive me over to his office. One look at it and he suggested that I see an ophthalmologist in Butte. I couldn’t get an appointment until the next day and then had to have a friend drive the 120-mile round trip to see him. He thought I might have a torn retina and referred me to a retina specialist in Missoula, MT. The earliest I could get in to see the specialist was on Wednesday the 25th. That may seem like a lot of time but it took time to get all the small tests done and I had to be off my blood thinner for 5 days. I also had to make arrangements to get to Missoula. Roz doesn’t like driving long distances and I wouldn’t want her to endure the stress of snowy roads with a blind passenger. Roz’s son, David came to the rescue. He is a retired Oral Surgeon and lives in Ventura, California. David flew to Butte on Monday, rented a car then drove to Dillon. Because of the weather we left for Missoula Tuesday for my noon appointment on Wednesday.

I know this sounds confusing but stick with me, as it gets better.

The appointment on Wednesday was for evaluation and surgery was scheduled for 8 am on Thursday. The surgery showed no sign of a retina tear and the doctor said the loss of vision was due to a small blood vassal breaking and leaking into the eye. He replaced the vitreous fluid in the eye and then gave me a laser treatment to seal the retina. I was then patched up and went back to the motel with instructions to return the next morning for a follow-up test. As you might imagine, I was nervous as that proverbial cat on a tin roof.

At 8 am the next morning, I sat in the exam room while the nurse took off the eye patch. I sat there for about 15 seconds with my eye closed until she said I should open it. I did and saw the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It was my beautiful China Doll, Roz, sitting about 10 feet away with a big smile on her face. My vision had totally cleared up and was better than it had been in a couple of years.

The doctor then came in and said that the leakage was diabetic related and shouldn’t happen again. Needless to say I was one happy puppy.

We went back to the motel, packed up and headed back to Dillon. It has been almost a week now and I am more thankful than ever for the love and prayers of my friends and especially to David for coming to my rescue. I know I am loved.

As most of you know, from my Happy’s Korner, I rarely get depressed about anything but this was one time when I could imagine all kinds of things happening. If any of you ever hear me complain about life and such I give you permission to reach out across the Internet and give me a big kick in the gluteus maximus. I shall deserve it!